Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/01

A day to remember....
I am sure there a few days in your life that you will never forget, but even fewer of those that you know just what you were doing when something happened. Today is one of those days... 7 years ago today, our country was attacked by terrorists right here on our very soil.
I was home at the time with my two little boys then 3 & 4years of age, the T.V was on, but it was tuned to a children's television that would not be interrupted. The phone rang at around 9am and I picked up thinking how nice of a friend to call first thing in the morning...but this call would change my whole day...I was asked was I watching T.V? I said the boys had Barney on but nothing major, why? Turn to a regular channel the Twin towers in NYC have been hit by a plane....I quickly turned it on and watched as the second plane hit...we quickly hung up promising to call back when we had some kind of answer for what we had just seen....did we really just see that? I kept asking myself all day that very thing, was this real, did that happen, what happened? What was next? I quickly tuned back to Barney for the kids and went to another T.V to watch for hours....when it was decided that this was terrorism ...I dialed my sister's cell phone number, she was in Arizona at the time on vacation and I thought I better check in with her....I woke her up and told her to get to a T.V and explained that an attack had occured and she needed to call for a rental car right away since they were grounding planes and who knew when they would fly again. Plus I didn't want them to get on a plane at this point anyway....she told me she would call me back....
Later that week they boarded a plane and flew back here to Michigan...much to my begging and pleading her not to get on a plane....didn't you feel that way? Never wanting to board a plane again after seeing that? I have flown again truthfully it was tough...I never liked to fly before that day but after was even harder!
What has changed in our country in the last 7 years? Are we really any safer? Could it happen again ? Well I am just thankful that I live in a country that came together at a time of horrible loss and am so incredibly grateful to all those who have served to protect our country before, since and will continue to do so in the years to come! God Bless our soldiers on the front lines and here at home!
Thanks for all you do!
Until next time....

No comments: